Area: 9.9 sq miles (25.64 km²)
Population: 24,747 (2010)
10 miles (16 km) north of central Boston
Reading is served by Reading station on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority's Haverhill/Reading commuter rail line, which links the town to Boston's North Station.
In 1639 some citizens of Lynn petitioned the government of the colony for a "place for an inland plantation". They were initially granted six square miles, followed by an additional four. The first settlement in this grant was at first called "Lynn Village" and was located on the south shore of the "Great Pond", now known as Lake Quannapowitt. On June 10, 1644 the settlement was incorporated as the town of Reading, taking its name from the town of Reading in England Places to see when visiting Reading: The Parker Tavern - The town's oldest remaining 17th century structure, built in 1694 and The Stephen Hall House.
Bill Russell, professional basketball player and coach.
Matt Siegel, WXKX-FM disc jockey once lived on the West Side.
Tom Silva, general contractor for This Old House on PBS.
Jess Brallier, award-winning publisher, best-selling author, and web publisher