|What's New! |
- In January, the new wing to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum opened to the public. It features a 300-seat auditorium, 2,000 square foot exhibition space, a cafe, conservation labs as well as an education studio and staff offices. A new larger entrance welcomes visitors and is connected to the historic museum by a greenhouse cooridor.
- Harvard Square Hotel in Cambridge reopened on March 15 following a $15 million renovation.
- The John Hancock Conference Center & Hotel on Stuart Street in the Back Bay has been renamed the Boston Common Hotel & Conference Center.
- The Revere Hotel, formerly the Radisson Boston, will complete its $27 million renovation in April 2012.
- Boston International Youth Hostel on Stuart Street, America's first LEED-certified International Youth Hostel will open in June 2012. With 468 beds, it will be the third largest International Youth Hostel in the United States.
- Direct, non-stop air service from Boston Logan International Airport to Tokyo Narita begins in April on Japan Airlines. JAL is the first airline to fly direct from Tokyo to Boston. This route will open up travel to the Northeast from 22 additional international destinations.
- The Museum of Science announced the construction of a new exhibit, the Hall of Human Life, starting this summer. Opening in July 2013, the exhibits aims to revolutionize how people undertand their own biology and manage their health.
- In March, 2012, Conventures, owned by Dusty Rhodes, and New England's largest special events agency celebrated their 35th year in business in Boston.
- On March 27, Larry Meehan of the GBCVB was awarded the Discover New England's International Tourism Leadership Award.
|Don't forget to check out the Prudential Center during your visit to Boston. Here are some of the things you will find: |
- Year-round Farmer's Market - Thursday's - 11am-6pm.
- Summer Concerts - Tuesdays in June and July in the South Garden at 12noon.
- Free Family movies in the summer - July 7-August 25 in the South Garden at sundown
|Notes of Quote... |
Brian Riley, a senior research director in the retail banking and cards practice at TowerGroup, calculates that $2 billion in gift card purchases will go unredeemed in 2012.
While 65% of American's trusted their banks in 2007, just 35% did in 2012, and their trust in government and business has also crumbled. Many people say the prefer to get guidance from their peers via social media rather than place faith in "experts".
According to a
Meet Shannon Skoglund!
Shannon is the National Sales Manager for the Northeast market focusing on groups with 75 rooms on peak or above. She began her career with the GBCVB in February 2012.
A native of Haverhill, Massachusetts, Shannon attended Merrimack College and graduated with honors in 2002, where she earned a Bachelor's in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing.
Upon graduation, Shannon began her career with Marriott International in the regional office as a Sales Manager concentrating on the Select Service/Extended Stay Hotels along with the Full Service Marriott's for the New England and Boston Market. After the launch of Marriott's Sales Transformation, Shannon expanded her responsibilites to include the New Jersey/New York/Philadelphia/Boston and New England Markets. Soon Shannon was promoted to a Sales Specialist within the organization which allowed her to assist with the training of new managers and implementation of strategy changes in order to meet her clients needs.
During her spare time she loves going to the beach, spending time with friends, and being in the city!
Shannon Skoglund | National Sales Manager | GBCVB | 617.867.8271
|Where to find us... |
The team will be traveling this spring and are looking forward to seeing many of you.
Maureen heads to the AMPS Golf Tournament in April and then to Washington for Springtime with Greg and several other Boston colleagues. In June she returns to Washington for her annual Ice Cream calls and AIBTM in Baltimore.
Greg just wrapped up a trip to Orlando with ConferenceDirect and is busy coordinating a trip to Chicago when our beloved Red Sox play the Chicago Cubs in historic Wrigley Field. Erin is heading west for Collaborate in Las Vegas and then to Kansas City for the PCMA Heartland Chapter meeting.
Shannon is going to be busy traveling up and down the Northeast corridor and is looking forward to meeting you.
Stephanie is heading to Imex in Frankfurt, Germany and Arizona for a Sports Symposium meeting.
Lisa, Maggie and Michelle are traveling to help promote and increase attendance for the conventions coming to Boston in 2013.
The entire team is looking forward to see all of you!
|March 29-31 ||American Academy of Audiology ||BCEC |
|April 2-4 |
|athenahealth Users Conference ||Hynes |
|April 6-8 ||Anime Boston 2012 ||Hynes |
|April 6-8 ||Penny Arcade Expo East ||BCEC |
|April 11-13 ||National Catholic Educational Association ||Hynes |
|April 19 ||Taste of the Nation ||Hynes |
|April 19-21 ||American Association of Endodonists ||Hynes |
|April 21-23 ||National School Boards Association Annual Convention ||BCEC |
|April 21-22 ||The Boston Comic Con ||Hynes |
|April 25-26 ||BIOMEDevice 2012 ||BCEC |
|April 28-May 1 ||Pediatric Academic Societies ||Hynes |
|May 3-4 ||Boston National College Fair ||BCEC |
|May 5-8 ||American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting ||Hynes |
|May 8-10 ||Vision Show 2012 ||Hynes |
|May 10-11 ||Heart Rhythm Society ||BCEC |
|May 11-12 ||Massachusetts Teachers Association ||Hynes |
|May 21-23 ||National Cable Association ||BCEC |
|May 21-24 ||IAUG Global Conference ||Hynes |
|June 2-5 ||American Transplant Conference ||Hynes |
|June 5-8 ||Society for Information Display ||BCEC |
|June 5-7 ||Northeast Buildings & Facilities Management Show ||BCEC |
|June 9 ||ANTIQUES ROADSHOW ||BCEC |
|June 10-13 ||SLEEP 2012 ||Hynes |
|June 18-21 ||Biotechnology Industry Organization International Convention ||BCEC |
|June 21-25 ||HOW Design Live 2012 ||Hynes |
|June 28-30 ||National Apartment Association Education Conference & Expo ||BCEC |
|June 30-July 1 ||Health & Fitness Expo ||Hynes |
|July 8-11 ||International Conference of Auditors ||BCEC |