As we’re making the most of sheltering in place and getting creative by occupying our time with virtual activities, remember this too shall pass, and, before you know it, you’ll be packing the car for a family road trip or leaf-peeping vacation.
Booking your travel plans now has some distinct advantages. You have lots of time to research new destinations, your mood will brighten because you'll have some fun adventures to look forward to, and you’ll support the hotel industry and their workers by letting them know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Tips to keep in mind when planning future travel:
- Book your summer and fall vacations now with no risk should you have to cancel. Most hotels have made their cancellation policies more lenient for just this purpose.
- 2020 is the year of the great American road trip. Travel domestically and take several stay-cations rather than one long trip.
- Buy gift cards for future stays. Many hotels are offering an added-value incentive, such as dining credits. Others are donating a portion of proceeds to their furloughed staff.
- If you have a need for long term accommodations, as do many healthcare and government workers, stay at the hotels that remain open and have heightened their efforts to keep guests safe.
- Support GoFundMe pages for hospitality workers. They need your help covering living expenses until they return to work.