Boston is known for its Puritanism, but somehow, the Museum of Fine Arts never got the memo. In art circles, it is well known that Boston’s MFA has the world’s greatest collection of LGBT-themed Classical Greek and Roman art. It is less well known that the MFA’s collections are extraordinarily rich in LGBT art of other cultures as well.
On this tour fun and informative 2 hour tour, we will discover:
- the male/male couple that were ancient Athens’ Uncle Sam
- the god Priapus and what he did with his huge appendage
- the sexiest Jesus of the Italian Renaissance
- 19th century women artists and their 'Boston marriages'
- painter John Singer Sargent’s secret obsession
- and an intersex figure we bet you’ve never noticed in a famous impressionist canvas!
Come on our tour, and you will never see the MFA the same way again!