At the beginning of the 20th century, a huge wave of Italian immigrants came to the United States. Many settled in Boston’s North End, which was at that time a predominantly Jewish, Irish and Portuguese neighborhood. The villagers from Pietraperzia congregated mostly on Battery, Charter and Hanover Streets, and on Salutation Alley. They brought with them both their faith in the Madonna Della Cava and their traditional celebration in her honor.
Thus, on the second week of each August, the North End celebrates the Feast of Madonna Della Cava, which coincides with the festival held in Pietraperzia, Sicily. A beautiful cloth banner bearing the Madonna's image is carried throughout the neighborhood during the procession to collect money and valuables donated by the citizenry. During the 1930's and 1940's, a special raffle was held and the prize was a lamb, representing sacrifice. The traditional use of a cloth banner of the saint - rather than a statue - is based on the belief that a statue will fall and crack, just like the stone bearing the image of the Madonna once did so many centuries ago.