Peppersass (pronounced Pepper-sass), the locomotive that built the world's first mountain-climbing cog railway – the Mount Washington Cog Railway – will be touring New England this summer, making appearances at several events. Since 2016, Peppersass has been visiting railroad and tourism related events and museums in New England and beyond to promote The Cog's 150th anniversary in 2019.
Here are the details of Peppersass' summer appearances:
• Thursday, May 25 to Saturday, June 10: Peppersass will be welcoming visitors at the New Hampshire Welcome Center at the Hooksett Rest Area, Everett Turnpike Northbound.
• Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11: Peppersass is helping the town of Ashby, MA celebrate its 250th Anniversary. Ashby is the hometown of one of The Cog owners, Susan Gummerus Presby. On Saturday from 4 pm to 7 pm at the 873 Café (on 873 Main Street), visitors can see Peppersass and watch the Emmy Award winning documentary about The Cog, called Climbing to the Clouds. On Sunday, Peppersass will be in the 250th Anniversary Parade that starts at 11 am from Allen Field, down West Road onto Main Street (Rt. 119 eastbound), ending at the Town Common.
• Saturday, July 15 and Sunday, July 16: Peppersass is participating in The Cog's 2nd Annual Handcrafted in NH Fest at The Cog's Base Station in Bretton Woods, NH. For this event, The Cog is partnering with premier New Hampshire organizations to celebrate New Hampshire's innovation and finest handmade craft and products. Visitors can shop for New Hampshire-made products at booths featuring fine craft made by renowned craftsmen and a variety of food, clothing, jewelry, household products and more. Free admission. Rain or shine.
• Friday, July 28 to Sunday, July 30: Peppersass will make its first ever appearance at the 30th Lowell Folk Festival in Lowell, MA. More than 150,000 people are expected attend to enjoy the finest folk music, craft, food, and more in downtown Lowell.
• Saturday, August 4 to August 13: Peppersass, which was handcrafted in New England, will be part of the Annual League of NH Craftsmen's Fair at Mount Sunapee Resort in Newbury, NH. Friday, August 11 is Cog Day at the Fair, with special activities in store. (Pictured right: Peppersass engine celebrates its 150th birthday at the 2016 Annual League of NH Craftsmen's Fair. )
• Saturday, August 19: Peppersass is the centerpiece of the 2nd Annual Railway to the Moon Steampunk event at The Cog – an event where the Victorian Era meets the Wild West meets Jules Verne. Visitors are encouraged to wear their Steampunk best to win prizes for the best costume in the fashion show parade. There will be Steampunk art, antique bicycling, steam exhibits, including a demonstration by steam artist Todd Cahill and his Steamachine Sculptures. The Cog is featuring a special ride to the moon on the "Steampunk Express", engine number 9. Call 603.278.5404 to book train tickets for the 3:30 pm steam ride. Admission to the event is free.