There are few things as fun and engaging as pairing wine and oysters together. Delicious and intoxicating, both are truly unique expressions of the environments in which they are grown.
Terrior is a term used by oenophiles to explain the environmental climate that gives wine its aroma, flavor, color and finish. In the shellfish world, we use the sister term merrior to discuss the very same thing: the look, texture and taste of the oyster.
This class explores the nuances of oysters and wine, and the interaction between the two. With an oyster expert from Island Creek on one side, and a wine aficionado from Eataly on the other – we walk you through regions and varieties that differ and complement one another.
There are no right answers in this class. Tasting is a participatory process, where all are welcome to share their ideas of what 'works' and what doesn't. Come prepared to enjoy yourself, as the only thing that exceeds the satisfaction of learning is the pleasure of tasting." In this class, guests will:
- Learn about oyster harvesting from Island Creek Oysters
- Watch an oyster shucking demonstration
- Taste different types of oysters and discuss the different textures and taste profiles
- Learn about pairing oysters with wine from an Eataly sommelier
- Taste different wines paired with the oysters